Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Joining the 21st Century

Well, now that I am in my 30th year as a steel detailer, I have finally decided to join the 21st century and learn CAD. OK, maybe joining the late 20th century is more like it.
To be fair, when I bought this company in 2000, my partner and I purchased Autocad LT 2000i. We even registered for a cad class at the local community college. At this time we were billing about 90 board hours a week. One weekend, I received a call from my partner's daughter; he had suffered a stroke while in Maryland. I quickly went to the office to evaluate our situation and, even though I was able to get some help, I spent the better part of the year playing catchup. George eventually recovered but retired, so I was left to try to keep this business going without his help. At that point, taking the time to learn CAD just had to take a back seat.
I realize now how there has been time and I just kept putting it off so a few weeks ago I purchased a program called "Autocad LT 2008 Tutorial Series" by 4dTechnologies. I chose this program based on its flexibility, price ($99), and a great review from Cadalyst Magazine. I have been really impressed by how well I can lead myself through the instructions and how each lesson, while linked to the next, also can stand on it's own, allowing me to learn in small bits of time since, as a business owner, father of 3 and 8 year olds, and active volunteer in several organizations, this is a benefit. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a good entry level way to learn Autocad. Sure is nice here in the 21st century. Think I'll stay a while.

No comments: