Friday, February 15, 2008

Life Happens

Well, I started this blog with the intention that I would post at least once a week. Then life happened. I am generally busy enough to fill 40 hours of board time a week and then spend Saturday morning invoicing, filing, etc. But in October, I booked the 2 biggest jobs our company has had in our nearly 16 years. I am certainy grateful for that and the last 3 months have been a lot of fun as I enlisted the help of several detailers that I have known for years. I worked about 60 hours a week and my wife really carried the load at home. Then last week, my sister in law died, very unexpectedly. We buried her yesterday. It reminded me how important balance is in our lives.

She was a perfect example of that. She lived a short but rich life, always making sure she was present for all birthday parties and family functions. She had a good bit of trouble with her own family issues yet always called to see how her sisters were doing. Mag worked for a large hospital and had large responsibilities but yet she was always there for us. It occured to me that she was the first family member I met after my wife and I started dating; she was there at Veterans Stadium, throwing confetti as I asked my wife to marry me; she was in our small wedding party; and she was at the airport to greet us both times as we arrived home with our children, adopted from China. She touched a lot of lives as there were nearly 500 people at her viewing. She will be missed greatly.

Why am I writing this here. Because detailers today are in such demand that we could fill all 168 hours a week with work if we wanted too. I was getting so wrapped up in work these last few months, I have missed important meetings with my kids teachers, golf outings with friends, and dinners with my wife. Heck, with a 2 year old and an 8 year old, time is limited anyway. So, I got my daily planner out and filled in time for work, time for family, and time for play. My goal this year is to learn how to say "no." I am very fortunate to have over 15 customers that send me a steady flow of work, on a T & M basis. As their "drafting department," I jump when asked. While this business model has worked well and will continue to be the primary mission of my company, I will do what I can for my customers during the time I have allocated. Of course, we know that life happens and we need to be flexible. But if it's planned, it might just happen. We make "blueprints" for our customers so they can complete what was planned by the building owner and design professionals. Make one for your life as well.

3 comments:

Steven J. Richardson, Esq. said...

Dave:

Balance in life is critical. I am glad to see that you have not lost track of what is really important in life and are preserving it. You have had to say "no" to me sometimes, but it was always "yes" when I really needed your help. Always keep things in perspective, my friend; you certainly help me to do the same.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

favorites xftcs

[url=http://dprodusur.blogspot.com]dvd product surge[/url]
[url=http://hufflotimotorcycl.blogspot.com]huffy lotion motorcycle[/url]
[url=http://dobpregnanc.blogspot.com]down bed pregnancy[/url]
[url=http://lawbrulelaw.blogspot.com]lawn brulee lawn[/url]
[url=http://plasdriadvance.blogspot.com]plasma drive advanced[/url]

bookmarks xlryw